Editorial board (The Jakarta Post) Jakarta ● Fri, June 2, 2023 2023-06-02 03:34 67 c50f50c3e1b4ab124a8b6ef95a1d4771 1 Editorial #election,intervention,Joko-Widodo,coalition,Prabowo-Subianto,Ganjar-Pranowo,neutrality Free Versi Bahasa Indonesia It's only natural for an outgoing president to have a preference of successor for the sake of policy continuity, but problems arise if he or she tries to define the course of the election, which should run in a democratic manner according to the Constitution. In the case of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo, his apparent support for, if not endorsement of, several presumptive presidential nominees such as Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and Prabowo Subianto of the Gerindra Party should not be a big deal. Jokowi knows and has worked with both figures and has a sense of whether they will preserve his legacy and complete what he does not accomplish by the time he leaves office in October of next year. Jokowi may also suggest running mates who he thinks best suit the presidential hopefuls and can help them win the election. On one occasion, the President publicly named a number of possible VP picks for Ganjar, which included Prabowo; State-owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir; Coordinating Political, Legal… Read full this story
- MALKIN: An Unfond Farewell To Un-Statesman Orrin Hatch
- Edo politicians: Remember Lassa Fever
- John O'Farrell: the comedian turned politician with a shot at Eastleigh
- Seamus Mallon funeral: Tribute to 'peacemaker' and 'statesman'
- Our politicians and their macabre dance on security
- Netanyahu declares Iran is 'the most anti-Semitic regime on the planet' and compares Tehran to the NAZIS as world leaders gather in Israel to mark 75 years since Auschwitz was liberated
- National Enquirer Drops Rumor-Bomb On Hillary
- 'I used to worry about death, now... I look forward to it. I'm going to be reunited with the people I've lost': Jenna Bush shares moving discussion she had with grandfather George H.W. Bush, 94, as he passes away just eight months after his wife Barbara
- Dennis Barker obituary
- The future of the EU itself is in peril
Statesman or politician? have 343 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at June 2, 2023. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.