Fast bowler Fazalhaq Farooqi returned bowling figures of 3-11 to help Afghanistan thrash Sri Lanka by eight wickets in the opening match of the Asia Cup on Saturday. Afghanistan elected to field and bundled out Sri Lanka for a paltry 105, a total their batsmen overhauled in 10.1 overs in Dubai. Left-hander Hazratullah Zazai , unbeaten on 37, and wicketkeeper-batsman Rahmanllah Gurbaz, who hit 40, put on 83 runs for the opening wicket to build on the dominance started by the bowlers. Afghanistan, in Group B with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, have made a thumping start to their campaign in the six-nation tournament that acts as a tune-up to the T20 World Cup in October-November in Australia. Farooqi, a left-arm quick, stood out for Afghanistan after he struck with successive deliveries in the first over of the innings to send Kusal Mendis and Charith Asalanka trudging back to the pavilion for two and nought. Naveen-ul-Haq then sent back Pathum Nissanka caught behind after the batsman reviewed the on-field call and the third-umpire upheld the decision despite no visible spike on the ultra-edge, leaving the batsman and dressing room stunned. At that point Sri Lanka were struggling with just five runs on… Read full this story
- Why Sunil Narine Isn't in West Indies T20I Squad For Sri Lanka Series?
- Asia Cup will be postponed to 2023 if India make WTC final: Pakistan board chief Mani
- Asia Cup: Pakistan board chief Ehsan Mani rules out 2021 edition, Sri Lanka to host in 2022
- India Likely to Send Second String Team For Asia Cup 2021: Report
- Not Possible to Hold Asia Cup This Year; Hopes India Visit Pakistan For 2023 Edition: PCB Chairman
- Asia Cup Will be Postponed Until 2023 if India Qualify for World Test Championship Final: Ehsan Mani
- Road Safety World Series 2021: Upul Tharanga's 99* helps Sri Lanka Legends beat Bangladesh by 42 runs
- Sri Lanka's chance to make a statement on road to T20 World Cup
- Inexperienced Sri Lanka out to challenge West Indian might
- Sri Lanka need improved batting effort to level series
Asia Cup: Fazalhaq Farooqi Stars As Afghanistan Hammer Sri Lanka By 8 Wickets | Cricket News have 324 words, post on sports.ndtv.com at August 27, 2022. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.