Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas faced a political onslaught this week during his appearances on Capitol Hill. Republican lawmakers grilled the nation’s topic public safety official on his record responding to the surge at the border and the Biden administration’s move to lift the Title 42 public health order barring certain migrants from seeking asylum. Appearing before the House Appropriations, Homeland Security, and Judiciary committees, Mayorkas received criticism for the administration’s inability to stem a historic migration surge that has seen officials encounter nearly 2.5 million people at the border since President Joe Biden took office. This week’s questioning of Mayorkas during the Homeland Security hearing, which Newsweek attended, saw Republican Congressman Michael Guest of Mississippi tell Mayorkas that he “lied to the American people when [he] said the border is secure.” Mayorkas denied it. At one point during the Judiciary Committee hearing, where Newsweek also was present, Ranking Member Jim Jordan of Ohio claimed in his opening statement that the surge at the border “Is not an accident. It’s deliberate. It’s on purpose. It’s by design.” Mayorkas did not get an opportunity to address that accusation. The Department of Homeland Security predicts that lifting Title 42 could see… Read full this story
- Democrat Sen. Mark Kelly Rips Joe Biden for Ignoring Illegal Immigration Crisis in Address to Congress
- Mark Kelly: I didn't hear plan for border in Biden speech
- NRSC Releases Ad Targeting Arizona Senator Mark Kelly over Immigration Votes
- Two border-state Dems break with Biden on the crisis: 'Want to see more action'
- DHS, southern border states face economic hurdle as Biden admin stays mum on lifting travel restrictions
- Rep. John Katko: Biden's Border Crisis -- Every state is now a border state
- DHS Secretary Alejandro Majorkas: Immigrants Are the ‘Backbone’ of US Economy
- Rep. Lauren Boebert Unfurls Mylar Blanket at Biden Speech to Bring Attention to Biden’s Border Crisis
- DHS Chief Mayorkas to Travel to Mexico After White House Suggested VP Harris’s Visit Failed
- Mayorkas Defies GOP Legislators: ‘The Border Is Closed’
Mark Kelly says listen to border states, as DHS draws fire on immigration have 333 words, post on www.newsweek.com at April 28, 2022. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.