South Korea's National Assembly approved legislation on Tuesday that bans app store operators such as Google and Apple from forcing developers to use their in-app payment systems. South Korea is reportedly the first country in the world to pass such a bill, which becomes law when it is signed by the president, whose party has backed the legislation. The tech giants have faced widespread criticism over their practice of requiring app developers to use in-app purchasing systems, for which the companies receive commissions of up to 30 per cent. They say the commissions help pay for the cost of maintaining the app markets. https://images.indianexpress.com/2020/08/1×1.png The legislation prohibits the app market operators from using their monopolies to require such payment systems, which means they must allow alternative ways to pay. It says the ban is aimed at promoting fairer competition. This combo of photos shows the logo for Google, top and Apple, bottom. (AP) The bill aims to prevent any retaliation against developers by banning the companies from imposing any unreasonable delay in approving apps. The legislation also allows South Korean authorities to investigate the operations of app markets to uncover disputes and prevent actions that undermine fair competition. Regulators in… Read full this story
- What happens to Diablo III? South Korea bans trade of virtual goods
- Apple iPhone Coming to South Korea This Week
- MMO Midnight Bans in South Korea
- Samsung Pay reaches one million active users in two months in South Korea
- Samsung Pay is seemingly off to a strong start in South Korea, based on early results
- Apple pays $945 penalty in South Korea iPhone tracking suit
- The Smart Sheriff app rides into South Korea, ready to watch over teens’ smartphones
- LG G4 news: White Gold edition announced for South Korea
- Apple Breaks Legal Serve in Samsung's Home Court
- CUPERTINO BUSINESS REPORT Is Apple Brewing an iPhone Oktoberfest?
South Korea bans Google, Apple payment monopolies have 305 words, post on indianexpress.com at August 31, 2021. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.