ANALYSIS: I'm sick and tired of reading how we're planning another 'hundred days' of miracles," griped John F Kennedy before assuming the presidency. The sentiment made its way into his inaugural address, albeit in a more stirring manner: "All this will not be finished in the first 100 days. Nor will it be finished in the first 1,000 days, nor in the life of this administration." A recurrent trope of American politics is to scour the actions of the first 100 days of a new president's administration and compare it, usually unfavourably, with the productivity of the first 100 days of Franklin Roosevelt's presidency (in which he managed to pass 76 pieces of legislation, 15 of them country-changing). The exercise is both arbitrary and imperfect: presidents with early legislative successes tend to have more later on in their term, but it is hardly a guarantee. Nonetheless, it is still a test that White Houses past and present torture themselves over. Lyndon Johnson ordered his congressional liaison to "jerk out every damn little bill you can and get them down here by the 12th". "On the 12th you'll have the best 100 days," Johnson boasted. "Better than [FDR] did!" Joe Biden's… Read full this story
- Trump’s doing Biden a big favor and other commentary
- Anita Hill says she's 'ready to hold Joe Biden accountable' for role in 1991 Supreme Court confirmation hearings
- Anita Hill says she's 'ready to hold Joe Biden accountable'
- Ronald Reagan obituary
- Legendary author, playwright, and politician Gore Vidal dies, aged 86
- A Cold War warrior president, the Queen of Soul and a Maverick senator: The giants who we bade farewell to during 2018
- Obama's final report card: Did he live up to his promise?
- Trump outstripping Obama on pace of executive orders
- Trump once called executive orders ‘power grabs.’ But his 3-year total outpaces Obama
- Donald Trump tops Obama in executive orders
Biden was a boring candidate. He now draws comparisons to Franklin D Roosevelt have 323 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at May 2, 2021. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.