ALBANY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Both the New York State Senate and Assembly voted to strip Gov. Andrew Cuomo of his emergency powers Friday. While some some say it is a repeal of the temporary authority granted at the start of the pandemic, others say it falls well short, CBS2's Tony Aiello reported. READ MORE: Reports: Top Cuomo Aides Allegedly Altered July Report To Conceal Number Of Nursing Home Deaths Amid growing scandals surrounding the governor, the measure will require Cuomo to work more closely with the legislature to make future pandemic decisions. Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie released the following statement Friday night — "A year ago, as New York was being ravaged by COVID-19, we passed legislation to give the governor temporary emergency powers that would allow the state to nimbly react to a constantly evolving, deadly situation. These temporary emergency powers were always meant to be that – temporary. "Now, New Yorkers are getting vaccinated and we are beginning to look toward a return to normalcy. And with that, our government must return to regular order. By immediately repealing the temporary emergency powers, allowing no new directives to be issued and bringing transparency and oversight to the standing directives,… Read full this story
- Amaz-off: Online retail giant Amazon cancels New York HQ plans after massive backlash
- Amazon cancels New York headquarters plan after backlash
- Amazon ready to rethink opening new HQ in New York after opponents criticised tax breaks
- New York will look to ban stretch limos following deadly crash
- What US states are suing Donald Trump over national emergency to fund the border wall?
- Transformer explosion turns New York skyline neon blue
- The New York Times: Trump Declares National Emergency to Build Border Wall
- Venezuelan National Assembly Announces Anti-Gov't Rally
- Leftist Democrats show power with Amazon coup
- State of the Union address 2019: Donald Trump calls for unity as he doubles down on pledge to build Mexico border wall
New York State Senate, Assembly Vote To Curb Gov. Cuomo’s Emergency Powers have 314 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.