Which is better for Earth : an electric or gas-powered vehicle? The answer to this question might seem blindingly obvious: Of course electric cars must be better for the environment, because they don't have exhausts and so don't emit greenhouse gasses as they drive. However, electric vehicles (EVs) aren’t perfect, and they come with their own set of polluting problems. Notably, their batteries contain components, such as lithium , that require a significant amount of energy to source and extract. But battery production is just one part of an electric car’s life span. A 2014 study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences looked at the entire life cycle of an EV’s emissions, from mining the metals required for the batteries to producing the electricity needed to power them, and then compared this with the average emissions of a gas-powered vehicle. The team found that when electric vehicles are charged with coal-powered electricity, they're actually worse for the environment than conventional gasoline cars. In much of the world, however, national grids are now clean enough for EVs to beat their gasoline-powered counterparts when it comes to pollution and greenhouse-gas emissions during their lifetimes. “Only when connected… Read full this story
- Volts wagons: Sales on the rise as plug-in cars get better and better
- Massive SUV from Volkswagen is surprise Irish Examiner Car of the Year
- Best cars of 2018: SUV from Volkswagen surprise Irish Examiner Car of the Year
- Are the days of the private car really over?
- Alexa: Tell me why I can’t have a flying car like in Blade Runner
- Instead of hiding under the covers, seek solutions
- [Opinion] Raw materials: 'holy grail' of 21st century industrial policy
- Airport begins sustainability journey
- Why flexi-veganism is the new diet we might all be adopting this year
- Lukashenko: Science should contribute to Belarus' strategic goals
Is an electric car better for the planet? have 308 words, post on www.livescience.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.