The snowplows have just finished clearing the streets as it begins to snow again. In better times, this region in central Croatia would be nothing short of a winter wonderland, if it weren’t for the recent earthquake that rendered many here homeless. Snowplows and other vehicles are heading towards the village of Svrakarica, some 50 km (31 miles) outside of the city of Sisak, which is home to the Ognjenovic family, or used to be, before the earthquake hit. The Ognjenovics say their children were terrified by the massive quake that destroyed their family home in December The family of five has reason to be hopeful, however, because their new home, a mobile home, is on its way. Or at least they think it is, as it navigates slippery turns and steep inclines on a flatbed trailer pulled by what they believe is a sturdy tractor. Bringing up the rear of the convoy are two cars filled to the brim with aid supplies courtesy of the people of Rotterdam, Holland. Weather conditions are anything but ideal as the convoy travels at just 20 km an hour (12.5 mph), meter-by-meter, to its snowy destination. But as fate would have it, the… Read full this story
- Half of US population living in ‘major coronavirus DISASTER’ areas as Illinois is latest state to declare
- Earthquake probability adds urgency in time of COVID-19: What you need to know
- Japan Lifts Evacuation Order for Part of Disaster-Hit Fukushima Town
- The waiting: Bay Area braces for coronavirus surge
- Coronavirus in the Balkans: Can disasters defeat hatred?
- Nepal earthquake: the village wiped off the map in a few terrifying seconds
- Deadly Everest avalanche triggered by Nepal earthquake
- At Least 260 Dead After Massive Earthquake Strikes Afghanistan
- 5.0 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles West Texas, No Injuries Reported
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding on March 24
Croatia after the earthquake: A snow-white disaster area have 297 words, post on www.dw.com at January 31, 2021. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.