Manchester Metropolitan University students at two accommodation sites in the city have been instructed to self-isolate for 14 days following a spike in coronavirus cases. The immediate measures have been introduced at the Birley campus and Cambridge Halls after 127 students tested positive, meaning about 1,700 are now shut away. It comes as students trapped in a spate of campus Covid outbreaks have slammed universities for opening halls of residents when coronavirus means they’re studying from their rooms. Meanwhile students at the University of Manchester were filmed throwing an illegal party outside their student halls. University of Glasgow student Lucy Owens tested positive for coronavirus just a couple of weeks after arriving at her halls in the now-locked down Murano complex. She asked on the BBC’s Good Morning Scotland programme: ‘What are we paying for? I could do everything I am doing from my house, so why have they sent us here? ‘I know we’re making the most of this accommodation because we’re stuck in it all day but we’re not really making the most of being at university. ‘Putting two thousand students into such a confined area, something like this was bound to happen.’ Meanwhile footage recorded at 1am… Read full this story
- 'COVID is coming': Gold Coast teenager tests positive after being in contact with known case
- Covid: Horror warning as cases 'worst since January' - UK 'back to square one'
- The inside stories of horror and heartbreak as red list travellers locked away 'illegally'
- Covid press conference RECAP: Sajid Javid warns 'it's not over' but rules out Plan B
- Coronavirus latest: Germany imposes quarantines to counter fresh outbreaks
- 'Covid Plan B doesn't go far enough' warn experts - with NHS on brink of crisis
- The Latest: Arizona universities to comply with mandate
- COVID in California: All eligible Los Angeles public school students must be vaccinated by January
- Meghan and Harry dealt urgent warning over Lilibet christening
- Coronavirus Cases Surge in U.S. and Europe
Two university halls go into quarantine after 127 students test positive – as hundreds throw illegal party at second site and SAGE expert warns they could be stuck in rooms for Christmas have 320 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 25, 2020. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.