Elizabeth Cuthrell, a Manhattan-based film producer, used to work in an ergonomic office space: Comfortable desk chair, monitor at eye level, external keyboard. Then came COVID-19. During stay-at-home she worked on a laptop from a wicker chair, or sometimes on a couch with "cushions like marshmallows." A month later she felt pain in her neck, wrist and shoulders that sent her to a chiropractor. "It's hard to quantify, but this has been a really, really big issue for a lot of my patients," said Karen Erickson, the chiropractor who treated Cuthrell. Chiropractors report a surge of injuries and discomfort stemming from the nationwide push to work from home, as millions of workers have spent months clacking away on sofas and beds and awkward kitchen counters. Out with ergonomics, in with hunching over laptops. According to an April Facebook survey from the American Chiropractic Association, 92 per cent of chiropractors (out of 213 respondents) said that patients report more neck pain, back pain or other musculoskeletal issues since the stay-at-home guidance began. The typical pattern: In March, people thought they would work from home for just a couple of weeks, so it was no problem to work from the couch. Or… Read full this story
- Experts warn pressure at work can lead to serious health and personal problems
- DIY SOS home in running for design award
- British couple to launch legal action over Tenerife nightclub injuries
- Backlash over plans to turn abandoned Tayside hospital into homes
- Contractors set to start work to find solution for landslip-hit road
- 'Relentless rats' force mum and children from 'dream' Northern Ireland home
- Miracle Mineral Solution: Mother allegedly gave her child bleach to 'cure' autism
- Wedding day attack let to victim needing three operations for 'horrific injuries'
- ‘Serious shortcomings’ in procedures caused Norwegian offshore worker’s death
- Rugby rape trial: Doctor can't say if intimate injuries from consensual or non-consensual sex
The pandemic of work-from-home injuries: Causes and solutions have 311 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 13, 2020. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.