Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman is facing fierce backlash after she called for the swift reopening of casinos and other nonessential businesses and said that the city could serve as a test case for lifting coronavirus lockdowns. During an off-the-rails interview with CNN on Wednesday, Goodman said wants to get the entire city back to work as soon as possible, downplaying the threat of COVID-19 as she argued that ‘we’ve had viruses for years’. She refused to take any responsibility for ensuring that businesses maintain social distancing to protect their employees and customers, asserting: ‘That’s up to them to figure out. I don’t own a casino.’ The politically independent mayor suggested that Las Vegas residents could serve as a ‘control group’ to see how easing restrictions and closures would affect the city. ‘I offered to be a control group and I was told by our statistician you can’t do that because people from all parts of southern Nevada come in to work in the city,’ Goodman said. ‘We would love to be that placebo side so you have something to measure against.’ Workers, union leaders and Nevada officials alike have condemned Goodman’s comments as ‘reckless’ and ‘dangerous’. Las Vegas Mayor… Read full this story
- Vegas, Reno health officials: Vaccine boosters coming soon
- Those Infuriating Drivers That Take Over The Left Lane And Prevent Passing Will Undoubtedly Be Stifling For AI Self-Driving Cars
- Arsenal blasted for signing £50m Ben White, Matty Cash to Poland latest, Chelsea vs Man City build-up, Messi injury news
- An Exit Interview With a School Superintendent Who Defied Texas’ Governor
- Beware the backlash as financiers muscle into rental property
- JuJu Smith-Schuster wants you to call him and Steelers underdogs, talks Big Ben, media influencers and more
- Why Austin's mayor doesn't see San Francisco as a rival
- Jennifer Aniston says she's cut people out of her life who 'refused' to get their COVID-19 vaccine
- In battle to restore power after Ida, a tent city rises
- Tilly speaks out after jabs row: Strictly team is 'working so hard to keep everyone safe'
'We're not test subjects. We're people': Backlash against Las Vegas mayor after car crash interview where she said she wanted to use the city as a 'control group' to get people back to work have 339 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at April 23, 2020. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.