A bid to force a general election on December 9 is gathering steam as MPs face a Commons showdown tonight over a Christmas poll. Tonight at 5pm, Labour are expected to vote down Boris Johnson’s bid to hold a snap election on December 12 – because they say it’d leave open a no-deal Brexit . But just as that motion dies, a separate bid is gaining momentum from the SNP and Lib Dems which pushes for a December 9 election instead. Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson wrote to the Tory Prime Minister today asking for clarity after No10 sources suggested Downing Street could swing behind a similar plan. Crucially, because it’s a Bill this second bid would only need half of all voting MPs to back it – not the 434-MP ‘super majority’ that Boris Johnson needs tonight. A vote could be held on the fresh election bid as soon as tomorrow, and pass even if it doesn’t have Labour backing. No10 said it would consider backing “something like” this option if it loses tonight’s vote. Furious Labour blasted the Lib Dem and SNP bid as a “ridiculous stunt” as Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell raged: “Looks like the Lib Dem… Read full this story
- Tories ‘fear General Election wipeout if Theresa May calls snap ballot’ as poll puts Corbyn on cusp of Downing Street
- May faces Commons showdown on Brexit deal after last-ditch agreement with EU
- Brexit latest news: MPs back indicative votes to take control of Brexit process
- Heavyweights gear up for potential leadership bid as Tories warn May against snap general election
- Brexit live: Prime Minister loses Commons vote on Brexit proposals
- UK general election odds 2019 – what’s the latest from the bookies?
- Tories warn May against snap general election to end Brexit crisis
- Jailed MP faces petition to remove her from Parliament
- Cautious relief in Gibraltar as Socialists win Spanish general election
- Could the Brexit chaos result in another general election?
General election bid for December 9 ramps up as MPs face Commons vote showdown have 315 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at October 28, 2019. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.