Senior Scottish Conservatives fear Boris Johnson’s election as Tory leader could be a “catastrophe” for the UK, because it is likely to turbo-charge the campaign for Scottish independence. Senior Tories believe Johnson’s zeal for Brexit will immediately boost support for a fresh referendum – a view echoed by Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, on Sunday. Johnson as prime minister would be “devastating, disastrous” for the party and make the case for independence stronger than ever, she said. Scottish Tories fear Johnson’s election is a foregone conclusion given his sizeable lead among English Tory activists and members, a lead that could withstand the revelations about his late-night row with this girlfriend Carrie Symonds. “He would have to be guilty of criminality on a huge scale to be stopped,” said one senior Conservative colleague and critic. “Our job is to move this from being a catastrophe to a challenge.” On Sunday, Sturgeon said Johnson was seen as one of the principal people responsible for the Brexit “mess” by those living in Scotland, where 62% voted remain in the 2016 EU referendum. She told Sky News’ Sophy Ridge on Sunday she was confident the yes campaign would win a fresh independence vote. “He… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson crisis: Poll lead collapsing as Tory MPs ready to mount rebellion against PM
- Boost for Boris Johnson as Nigel Farage says Brexit Party won't stand in Conservative seats
- John McDonnell predicts plot to replace Boris Johnson with Rishi Sunak after poll slump
- Boris Johnson House of Lords reform: How peer called for EU-style chamber after Brexit
- Boris Johnson set for Commons showdown over Dominic Cummings and coronavirus
- Boris Johnson flat refurb: How much did Boris and Carrie Symonds spend on doing up No 11?
- Boris Johnson dodges apology over ‘get Covid, live longer’ text
- Brexit LIVE: Brexiteer rock legend Roger Daltrey erupts at Boris Johnson's EU deal
- Ruth Davidson: I'm astonished Boris Johnson signed off on my peerage
- Boris Johnson puts war on crime at heart of post-Covid plan
Boris Johnson as PM would be 'catastrophe' for UK, say Scottish Tories have 327 words, post on www.theguardian.com at June 23, 2019. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.