No wonder he is the most Mankad-ed batsman in world cricket. In these conditions Jos Buttler is so lethal that he drives bowlers to distraction and, occasionally, extreme measures. Here he smashed a 50-ball century, the second-fastest of his ODI career, the 10th fastest in the history of the game. There was no suggestion that Pakistan might seek to run him out backing up; instead they kept running in at him steadfastly but they were unable to curb the monstrous hitting of England’s most accomplished white-ball batsmen. So, despite a marvellous century from Fakhar Zaman, England were able to prevail by 12 runs in a match that few bowlers will remember with any affection. The Ageas Bowl provides some of the longest boundaries in the game, one of the virtues of this venue. Buttler cleared them nine times with an array of awesome strokes. Some sailed over long-off with a hint of fade, others flew beyond square leg with a touch of draw. He launched into orbit deliveries that were almost perfect yorkers. But only absolute perfection would do. In this mood on this type of surface, which offered barely any encouragement to bowlers – apart from the distance to… Read full this story
- They don’t call Pakistan ‘unpredictable’ for nothing
- Another season of waiting: The (mis)treatment of Aamer Yamin, Pakistan’s answer to an all-rounder
- To mankad or not: Blaming Ashwin but not Buttler?
- #PakVsAus: In search of ‘bench strength’, Pakistan lost their self-belief
- 2018 has been the year of T20 for Pakistan – but that’s about it
- Pakistan needs to get over the 2017 Champions Trophy high, because tomorrow won’t be easy
- If anything is coming home, it’s Pakistan with 2 trophies!
- Red ball, white ball: Why Test series are boringly predictable these days, and what to do about it
- So close yet so far: what happened, Pakistan?
- Something to celebrate: 50 favourite places in the UK
Jos Buttler’s 50-ball century takes England past Pakistan in second ODI have 313 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 11, 2019. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.