XBOX, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation are being probed over fears their fees rip off gamers.
The Competition and Markets Authority is investigating whether the console makers’ business practices are legal.
Console users often pay for online services such as competing against rivals, communicating with other players, extra games and discounts.
It means money is automatically taken from users. The CMA has asked the firms for information about gaming contracts to help “better understand their practices”.
The watchdog is also calling on customers who use these services to get in touch with it and share their experiences to assist the investigation.
The probe will seek to determine whether the contract terms are unfair, whether it is too difficult to cancel or obtain a refund and if the auto-renewal process is transparent.
Stunning videos show off just how amazing next-gen games are going to look
BACK TO BASIC
Call of Duty ‘set to ditch specialists and Battle Royale for 2019 game’
PlayStation 5 rumours – here’s what to expect from Sony’s next Xbox rival
Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony investigated over charging to let you play online
PlayStation 5 and controller with built-in screen ‘prototypes’ leak online
RING MY BELL
World of Warcraft Classic set to take players back in time this ‘summer’
If the CMA finds that the firms have broken consumer protection law it could take enforcement action.
Watchdog boss Andrea Coscelli said: “Rollover contracts are becoming more commonplace and it’s essential they work well for customers.
“Our investigation will look into whether the biggest gaming companies are being fair.”
- Profitable Review For Xbox 360 Vs PlayStation 3 Today
- Nintendo and Playstation Consoles
- Console War-XBOX 360 vs. Playstation 3
- Shopping for a Gamer
- Microsoft's Xbox 360 vs the Sony's Playstation 3
- Xbox 360 Mod Chip - Expand Your Gaming Selections and Play Import Games on Your Xbox 360 Console.
- The Sony Playstation 3, Microsoft Wii, And The Xbox 360
- Results Are In: Nintendo Wii vs Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3)
- Xbox vs. PS2 Game Consoles
- Make Your Choice - Playstation 3 vs. Xbox 360