Red Sox ace Chris Sale didn’t hold back when talking about his performance so far this season, calling it “flat-out embarrassing.”
Sale’s comments came after Boston fell Tuesday to the Yankees 8-0. His season ERA dropped to 8.50 as he suffered his fourth loss of the year, which matches his total for the entire 2018 season.
“I’ve got to find a way to pitch better,” Sale told reporters, via the New York Post. “This is flat-out embarrassing. For my family, for my team, for our fans. This is as bad as it gets.
“I’m supposed to pitch into the sixth, seventh, eighth inning, finish games and stuff like that, save our bullpen, cut it off when we’re losing and keep winning streaks going. That’s not who I’ve been.”
— NBC Sports Boston (@NBCSBoston) April 17, 2019
Sale called his start this season one of the worst of his 10-year MLB career.
“It’s as frustrated as I’ve ever been on a baseball field,” Sale said. “It sucks. I’m not gonna sugarcoat it. I flat-out stink right now. I don’t know what it is. When you’re going good, it’s good. When you’re going bad, it’s pretty bad.”
Manager Alex Cora, however, didn’t seem too concerned about Sale’s performance. He was optimistic Sale would return to form sooner rather than later.
“I don’t want to say it’s a work in progress, because we’re not here to build up,” Cora said. “I’m not going to be surprised if, in his next outing, he’s right where we need him to be. … He’s very close to the ‘real’ Chris Sale.”
The defending World Series champion Red Sox are now last in the AL East with a 6-12 record, and will face the Yankees again Wednesday at 6:35 p.m. ET.
- Christian Vazquez catching Boston Red Sox ace Chris Sale again amid Sandy Leon trade rumors; (lineup vs. Pirates, on NESN)
- Trevor Bauer says Boston Red Sox ace Chris Sale ’was going to fade’ during second half of 2018 ‘like he always does’
- Red Sox ace Chris Sale: ‘The best possible deal wasn’t the most money’
- J.D. Martinez, Xander Bogaerts stand in as Boston Red Sox aces Chris Sale, David Price throw bullpens (video)
- Red Sox ace Chris Sale not buying loss was on anybody but himself
- Boston Red Sox notebook: Chris Sale will start Tuesday; J.D Martinez, Mookie Betts to receive awards
- Boston Red Sox’s Chris Sale ‘as frustrated as he has ever been on a baseball field’ after loss to Yankees
- Boston Red Sox’s Chris Sale on Opening Day stinker: ‘Throw this one in the trashcan’
- Boston Red Sox starters Chris Sale, David Price impress Alex Cora in early bullpen session
- Boston Red Sox rotation: Chris Sale starts Monday, David Price on Tuesday as top starters get into spring games