NEW YORK TIMES Immunity tends to wane by 20 percent a month, leaving those who got their shot in August or September with less than desirable protection by the time they’re exposed. If you’ve waited until now to get your flu shot, your procrastination may actually pay off, though you’d be unwise to delay getting the vaccine any longer. Although there are some cases of flu in October and November in the United States, flu season here doesn’t usually get going full speed until December, peaking in most years in February and usually ending by April. I’ve just learned from Dr. Michael T. Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, that immunity induced by the flu vaccine, which is rarely greater than 60 percent to begin with, tends to wane by 20 percent a month, leaving those who got their shot in August or September with less than desirable protection by the time they’re exposed to a variant of flu virus their body doesn’t recognize. Osterholm suggested that “since 95 percent of flu outbreaks start in mid-December, it’s best to get the flu shot in early to mid-November.” Of course, if… Read full this story
- Flu season in South Carolina nearly 3 times as deadly as it was last year
- Doctors Amputate Indiana Woman’s Leg After Flu Complications
- 9 Easy Ways To Prevent And Treat The Flu Naturally
- The Painful Truth About Last Year’s Failed Flu Vaccine
- Trump Says He’s “Super Interested” in a Universal Flu Vaccine. His Budget Says Otherwise.
- Flu activity winding down after hard-hitting season in Southwest Florida
- Larimer County flu hospitalizations break records: What you need to know
- UN organisations praise Vietnam’s bird flu control efforts
- Bill Gates pledges $12 million for universal flu vaccine research — but will it be enough?
- A Closer Look at Your Health: Protecting young adults against meningitis
Need a flu shot? Get it now have 314 words, post on www.staradvertiser.com at November 4, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.