British Prime Minister Theresa May speaks Wednesday in the House of Commons. May warned opponents to support the plan “or leave with no deal, or no Brexit at all.” LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May persuaded her fractious Cabinet to support a draft divorce agreement with the European Union on Wednesday, a decision that triggers the final steps on the long and rocky road to Britain’s departure from the bloc. But she faces backlash from her many political opponents and a fierce battle to get the deal through Parliament as she tries to orchestrate an orderly exit from the EU. May hailed the Cabinet decision as a “decisive step” toward finalizing the exit deal within days. It sets in motion an elaborate diplomatic choreography of statements and meetings. EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier declared there had been “decisive progress” — the key phrase signaling that EU leaders can convene a summit to approve the deal, probably later this month. Crucially, Barnier said that “we have now found a solution together with the U.K. to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.” But the agreement, hammered out between U.K. and EU negotiators after 17 months of what Barnier… Read full this story
- U.K.'s Boris Johnson gets EU Brexit deal; next hurdle is Parliament
- Brexit reaction: Tánaiste calls EU-UK deal a 'big step forward', but DUP 'unable to support' it
- Brexit reaction: EU-UK Brexit deal 'worth supporting', says Tánaiste
- What's in the proposed UK-EU Brexit deal?
- Boris Johnson gets EU Brexit deal; next hurdle is Parliament
- UK, EU strike deal, but Brexit long way away
- What’s in the proposed UK-EU Brexit deal?
- British businesses say new Brexit deal worse than May's deal
- Brexit deal today... or MORE delay until 2020: Boris Johnson fights to win over the DUP and Tory 'Spartans' to seal a deal - but Arlene Foster warns she doesn't 'trust' the PM and ex-minister brands package ‘unacceptable’
- EU and U.K. fear Brexit deal is dying as Johnson’s Northern Irish allies hold out
EU-exit deal gains support of May's Cabinet have 336 words, post on www.arkansasonline.com at November 15, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.