Rizal Harahap The Jakarta Post, Pekanbaru Isparianto was just one of thousands of interested spectators who had come from surrounding areas to watch the boat races of the 2018 Pacu Jalur Festival. Speaking at the festival’s boat race course, known as Tapian Narosa, near the town of Teluk Kuantan in Kuantan Singingi regency, Riau, Sumatra, the father of two said: “I think this is a really interesting tradition. Many locals who work in other parts of the country come home just to see this event”. “As you can see, there are so many people here. This is just like a holiday festival. Many decided not to make a homecoming journey during Idul Fitri, and instead scheduled a trip home during this festival,” he added. This year, as in other years, the competition lasted for four days, from Aug. 29 until Sept. 1. But, in Teluk Kuantan, a festive atmosphere could be felt a week before the festival officially kicked off. All accommodation in the town was fully booked, with visitors coming in not just from nearby regions, but also from outside the province. Not all visitors were in town for the boat race – many were seasonal traders hoping to… Read full this story
- Thanh Hóa hosts the 2nd Mường Festival
- Thanh Hoa to host the 2nd Muong Festival
- ‘Legendary’ Judges Talk History Of Ballroom Culture And Introducing It To The Mainstream – ATX
- Relishing the gains of 19th National Sports Festival
- Culture comforted us in lockdown, now we must join the fight for its survival
- From the silent movie stars' legendary party dens to Jayne Mansfield's Pink Palace and lothario Rudolph Valentino's retreat: Inside the lavish homes of the rich and famous from the Golden Age of Hollywood lost to development and fire
- Musical exploits of Emeka Nwokedi
- Amy Poehler: ‘I see life as being attacked by a bear'
- Ten Detroit classics selected by The Saunderson Brothers
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Womad 1985: the qawwali star invokes rapture
Pacu Jalur Festival showcases Riau’s rich culture and beauty have 318 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at October 24, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.