Tara Reid, Rachael Leigh Cook and Rosario Dawson in Josie and the Pussycats. Universal/Allstar I have a hard time explaining what a weird moment in time “the millennium” (1998-2001) was to people who were too young to really remember it. I was a teenager in the ‘90s, which meant I was a helpless part of the slacker rebellion, worshipping at the feet of grunge and alternative culture, rebelling against all manner of corporate influence from the safety of the cushiest time imaginable.But popular culture reflected all these values back at us, from movies, to music, to MTV, so we felt like the world revolved around us. But all this really did was pave the way for a stark transition. When the dream of the ‘90s crashed and burned (ironically through the burst of the dot-com bubble), corporations shifted their interests to a new core demographic; they discovered the buying power of “tween culture,” which not-so-coincidentally coincided with the meteoric stardom of pop acts like Backstreet Boys, ‘NSync and Britney Spears. MTV and record companies threw in hard on the trend (and smartly offset these squeaky clean acts by playing to the angsty crowds with cartoonishly over-the top “trash rock” outfits… Read full this story
- Ashley Roberts looks glam in in green leather pencil skirt and orange sweater as she struts to another day of work at Heart Radio
- Lara Dutta Recalls Her Journey From Miss India To Miss Universe In 5 Stunning Pictures
- BAZ BAMIGBOYE: My baby just LOVES musicals, says pregnant Sheridan Smith
- Abbey Road is a gateway to The Beatles… it’s the perfect epitaph or final chapter
- Slim like you: As Adele shows off her dramatic weight loss, ALISON BOSHOFF reveals how the singer has cherry-picked her look from best pals
- Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas share a tender kiss in the star-studded new Residente music video
- She doesn't age! Julia Roberts, 52, shares a recent image of herself next to a picture at age 23 from her 1990 smash hit film Pretty Woman
- She doesn't age! Julia Roberts, 52, is seen next to a picture of herself at age 23 from her 1990 smash hit film Pretty Woman
- 'Is she drinking unicorn blood?!' Social media goes wild over 70-year-old Vera Wang's 'ageless' looks as the designer shows off her amazing body in a sports bra for 'unreal' at-home photoshoot
- The making of Looking for Alibrandi: 'If we didn't get it right, we'd be crucified'
Looking Back at ‘Josie and the Pussycats’: A Perfect Picture of 2000’s Music Revolution have 396 words, post on observer.com at August 29, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.