This comes as Former Vatican Ambassador to the US — Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano — wrote a letter in which he claimed that Pope Francis had been aware of cases of child sex abuse in the Catholic Church ever since he was elected but did not take any measures to rectify the situation. Sputnik has discussed this with Dennis Doyle, a professor of religious studies at the University of Dayton in Ohio and a Catholic theologian. Sputnik: How would you assess the idea of an independent lay-led investigation into sex abuses? What changes could it bring about and how sufficient is it to tackle the long-standing problem in Church? Dennis Doyle: At this point, it’s very important that there be an independent lay-led investigation into child sex abuse. Vigano’s letter accuses Pope Francis of covering up when it comes to McCarrick, his relations with adult seminarians. And then it is only very recently that McCarrick was connected to child sexual abuse at which point he was immediately removed. But the independent lay-led investigation, it’s very important. READ MORE: Catholic Church Needs Law Banning Sexual Predators Among Clergy — Former Priest © REUTERS/ Max RossiVatican Sees Child Sex Abuse as Sin But They Don’t See It as Crime – ProfI don’t want to stress phrases like priests can’t be trusted, but some cannot, and I think it’s just a basic principle that whenever people… Read full this story
- Vatican voices 'shame and sorrow' over damning sex abuse report
- Man Who Faced over 60 Child Sex Abuse Charges Gets 1-Year Deferred Sentence
- Leading Member of Stockholm Gay Pride Fired After Revelations of Past Child Sex Abuse
- Chile’s Bishops Resign Over Sex Abuse Scandal, Victims Rejoice
- Amended sex abuse suit filed against W.Va. Catholic diocese
- After High-Profile Sex-Abuse Cover-up, Pope Promises New Church Transparency
- Pope Admits Guilt To Sex Abuse Victims: ‘I Was Part Of The Problem’
- Vatican handbook on sex abuse cases urges reporting to authorities
- DC Cardinal Removed From Ministry Over Sex Abuse Allegations
- Alan Dershowitz defends himself against sex abuse allegations, condemns accuser as 'a serial liar'
It's Important to Have Independent Investigation Into Sex Abuse in Church have 342 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 30, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.