A year after the launch of its Velop mesh router system, Linksys is back with a smaller, cheaper model, with one big catch: it’s slower, too. The new Velop units, first announced in January, are available to preorder today with sales starting May 15th and will be sold in one-, two-, and three-packs, for $129, $199, and $299. That’s a lot cheaper than the old models, which cost $200, $350, and $450 for those same quantities. Because it’s a mesh system, which uses multiple router units working together to blanket a home with Wi-Fi coverage, you’ll presumably want at least two. There’s one substantial difference between the cheaper and more expensive models. The cheaper models are dual-band routers, meaning they broadcast two wireless networks, whereas the more expensive models are tri-band, so they broadcast three. That third band isn’t strictly necessary — it’s only used so that the routers can relay information between each other. But having a dedicated router-to-router communications band can allow for faster speeds. That said, depending on the size of your home, how many devices you’re connecting, and what you’re doing with them, you may not need that extra speed. So it’s entirely possible that a… Read full this story
- TP-Link announces Deco M9 Plus mesh router with built-in smart home hub
- Linksys Velop dual-band mesh router review: More Wi-Fi for less money
- Netgear announces outdoor satellite for its Orbi mesh router system
- Should you buy a Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD mesh router solution?
- TP-Link announces Deco M4 mesh router system with IFTTT and Alexa support
- New TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Mesh Routers Are Also Smart Hubs
- Asus Lyra Voice mesh router and Alexa speaker is coming this month
- Synology debuts its first mesh router, the MR2200ac
- Razer Sila Is A Mesh Router Made For Gaming On Any Platform
- Does the SmartThings WiFi mesh router include a smart hub?
Linksys is now selling a cheaper version of its Velop mesh router have 320 words, post on www.theverge.com at May 1, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.