Christian Shimabuku Published on Apr. 12, 2018 | Updated on Apr. 14, 2018 Apr. 12, 2018 Ball was life to Barry Obama. The 1979 Punahou School graduate spent his high school days dribbling a basketball in one hand with books safely in the other. Because he lived within walking distance, he would get to campus early and shoot baskets before class on the outdoor courts, occasionally sneaking into the main gym if he could. Either way, slippers or sneakers, his reps resumed during lunch break. After practice, he would go home, have dinner and then go play pickup at the park for another hour or two. Chris McLachlin was the Punahou varsity basketball coach during the 1978-79 season, Obama’s senior year. A Punahou graduate himself in 1964, McLachlin won three state championships for boys’ basketball and 11 in boys’ volleyball over a 37-year coaching career at the school. Obama’s love for the game was something he remembered fondly. “He was a guy that we would call a Basketball Jones — who lived, ate and breathed the sport,” McLachlin said. “I was like that as well, so I really identified with him a lot.” MORE: Barack Obama’s greatest sports moments as… Read full this story
- Barack Obama Praises NBA Players for Boycott in Wake of Kenosha Shooting
- Barack Obama says he is ‘proud’ of NBA player boycott as LeBron James ‘leads calls to end season in protest’
- Ahmaud Arbery's killing was met with silence. His high school football coach vowed to find justice.
- Love, Barack: Obama's letters to college girlfriend unveiled
- SET VISIT: Go Back to High School with 10 Things I Hate About You - Part I
- Kansas City Chiefs star Patrick Mahomes, 24, proposes to his high school sweetheart Brittany Matthews, 25, just moments after he was given his Super Bowl ring
- Obama, King, LeBron speak out as American sport takes powerful stance on racial prejudice
- Four Ways the Obama-Biden-Harris Team Has Attacked Catholics
- Lute Olson, Hall of Fame basketball coach who won an NCAA title at the University of Arizona in 1997, dies age 85 as his players remember 'one of the greatest human beings ever'
- Pranab Mukherjee: Mirati man who craved slice of village
'I love you, man': How Barack Obama and a high school coach formed a bond that endures have 347 words, post on www.sportingnews.com at April 14, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.