Beijing (CNN)China and North Korea boast an alliance forged in blood — more than 130,000 Chinese troops, including the son of Mao Zedong, died defending the North during the Korean War — but the relationship has always been an uneasy one. While Pyongyang is dependent on Beijing for trade and diplomatic support, experts say the North Korean regime has always resented playing the little brother role to the much bigger China. Now, as North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un establishes himself on the world stage and prepares for summits with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and US President Donald Trump, Beijing fears Pyongyang is moving out of its orbit and striking out on its own. While China’s economic pressure has been pivotal in bringing Kim to the negotiating table, Beijing worries Kim might now agree to a deal that brings his country closer to its old enemies and further from its traditional ally, which has seen it through famine and global isolation. “There is even an extreme concern within the strategic Chinese community that maybe the US will accept a nuclear capable North Korea as its ally, or at least a friendly country,” said Tong Zhao, a nuclear policy expert… Read full this story
- Anger of wartime sex slaves haunts Japan and South Korea
- Japan and South Korea agree to settle wartime sex slaves row
- Who is Moon Jae-in, South Korea's new president?
- Japan and South Korea summit signals thaw in relations
- Lacking Seoul? Why South Korea's thriving capital is having an identity crisis
- How greed and corruption blew up South Korea’s nuclear industry
- 20,000 BMWs To Be Banned In South Korea for Engine Fire Fears
- South Korea downgrades Japan trade status as dispute deepens
- Hilmar Veigar Pétursson interview — Why CCP thinks Iceland and South Korea are a good mix
- North Korea warns South Korea of ‘state of war’
China fears Kim is moving out of its orbit as South Korea, US talks loom have 302 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 24, 2018. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.