New figures have been released showing how much Britain sends the EU every week. And it’s not exactly £350million, despite what Boris Johnson’s big red Vote Leave bus said last year. Britain made a net contribution to Brussels’ budget of £156 million a week in 2016/17 – the lowest level for five years. The total amount for the 12 months to March 2017 was £8.1bn, down from £10.8bn the year before and £9.2bn the year before that. Labour MP Chuka Umunna, of the pro-Remain Open Britain group, said: “These figures show that you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the side of a bus – or that you hear from Boris Johnson’s mouth. “Brexit will mean less, not more, money for our public services.” So what’s going on here? So why is there such a huge gap between what the Brexiteers said and the truth? It’s because last year, Vote Leave used the gross figure of how much Britain owes to the EU, without counting anything we get back. In 2016/17 it was technically £16.9bn, or £325million a week – close to what appeared on the big red bus. But this does not count the UK’s automatic, locked-in rebate, which… Read full this story
- Bill Sisley - Finding Britain's top racing drivers
- Premier League Weekly: Manchester United are lagging behind because they’ve not adapted, and perhaps Jose Mourinho realised that
- NFL Week 14 schedule, early odds: Steelers open as huge road favorites in city where they rarely win
- NFL Week 14 schedule, odds: Steelers open as huge road favorites in city where they rarely win
- EU Politicians, Automakers Find Middle Ground on Car Emissions. Is it Enough?
- Katarina Johnson-Thompson wins gold in pentathlon to get Britain off to flyer in European Indoors
- Ute Insiders: What Ute fans should know heading into this week’s NFL draft (podcast)
- Red All Over: Utes have answered a lot of questions about themselves during this preseason camp. Fans should be encouraged.
- Village in national final of Britain in Bloom contest
- The inside story of Aaron Ramsey’s rise from a shy Caerphilly boy to one of Britain’s most expensive and talented football stars
This is how much money Britain is sending the EU - and it's a LOT less than £350million a week have 352 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 7, 2017. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.