DUBLIN: A very emotional Rory McIlroy ended a six-month winless drought, producing two of his best ever shots over the closing three holes to capture a first Irish Open title at the K Club. Tournament host McIlroy displayed his enormous class, coming from a shot behind Scotland’s Russell Knox in first hitting a 256-yard 3-wood into the 16th hole to set up birdie, and then sending a laser-like 5-wood to within tap-in distance for an eagle at the last to win by three shots with a 12-under-par total. McIlroy, who had been on the course earlier in the day to play three holes of his third round in the weather-affected event, went into the closing 18 holes leading by three, but after Knox birdied 14 and 15 the four-time major winner found himself a stroke behind. “The 16th hole was the turning point in the tournament for me, so to birdie that hole and go one ahead of Russell, and then to finish the way I did in hitting that 5-wood into the last, was very pleasing,” said McIlroy. “To win the Irish Open, to win your national Open, you don’t many opportunities to do it. I knew I needed… Read full this story
- Tiger Tips a 'Roar' of a Different Kind - Hollywood's Rory McIlroy
- Brexit deal today... or MORE delay until 2020: Boris Johnson fights to win over the DUP and Tory 'Spartans' to seal a deal - but Arlene Foster warns she doesn't 'trust' the PM and ex-minister brands package ‘unacceptable’
- South Africa V British and Irish Lions Test Series Review
- EU and U.K. fear Brexit deal is dying as Johnson’s Northern Irish allies hold out
- The Latest: Customs, VAT issues seen holding up Brexit deal
- The Latest: Irish president: Guarding peace deal paramount
- Margaret Atwood's 'The Testaments' favourite choice to win Booker Prize in fiction category
- 'In New Zealand, they are predicting a 20-point win. That suits Ireland just fine'
- Remainer Lib Dems launch an audacious campaign to get hardcore 'big beast' Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg OUT of the Commons at the next election by winning his Somerset seat despite his 10,000 majority
- Flying Under the Golf Psychology Radar to Augusta
Magnificent McIlroy holds off Knox to win Irish Open have 355 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at May 23, 2016. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.