KABUL — Afghanistan’s insurgent Taliban marked the eighth anniversary of the U.S. invasion Wednesday saying they have no “agenda” to harm other countries but would continue fighting as long as America and its allies remain in the troubled nation. The Taliban insistence that it would pose no threat to other countries appeared aimed at countering suspicions that the Islamist movement would support al-Qaida’s global jihad if they returned to power. Supporters of the war fear that al-Qaida would regain its once-dominant position in Afghanistan if the Taliban topple the U.S.-backed Afghan government. In an Internet statement Wednesday obtained by the SITE Institute, a U.S. group that monitors terror messages, the Taliban said their goal was “independence and establishment of an Islamic system.” “We did not have any agenda to harm other countries including Europe, nor we have such agenda today,” the group said. “Still, if you want to turn the country of the proud and pious Afghans into a colony, then know that we have an unwavering determination and have braced for a prolonged war.” The statement came on the anniversary of the U.S. invasion that ousted the Taliban for harboring al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden. U.S. forces first launched… Read full this story
- How the Afghanistan Withdrawal Looks from South Korea, America's Other 'Forever War'
- Biden insists 'no-one has questioned' US credibility on Afghanistan - despite global anger
- Report: Taliban, Afghanistan Complicit in China's Uyghur Genocide
- Taliban Afghanistan news: Why Taliban wants to capture Afghanistan?
- The fiasco in Afghanistan is a grave blow to America’s standing
- The Taliban's Return Is Catastrophic for Women
- Afghanistan news LIVE – Taliban chiefs head into Kabul TODAY as death squads go door to door and MPs debate crisis
- How America Lost Its Way in Afghanistan
- Afghanistan latest news – Desperate mums hand babies to US soldiers in frantic attempts to escape Taliban
- Tot wakes with 'legs on fire' and blanket melting after evil Taliban shrapnel blast
Taliban in Afghanistan deny global 'agenda,' vow to keep fighting America and its allies have 321 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 7, 2009. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.