When Billy Cannon first pulled on a purple and gold LSU uniform, he never figured he’d do anything on a football field that would last 50 years.As it turns out, No. 9 LSU has a home game on the 50th anniversary of the most famous of Cannon’s many highlights, a slashing, tackle-breaking, 89-yard punt return that lifted the Tigers to a 7-3 triumph over No. 3 Mississippi.During the game against Tulane, LSU will commemorate the play, widely believed to have clinched Cannon’s Heisman that year. Now 72, Cannon will be honored on the field while the play is rerun on the massive video boards above the stands behind each end zone. Cannon promised with a grin this week that he and his old teammates would not attempt a re-enactment.“I’ve looked at my guys and I don’t think any of us could finish it, but we’ve enjoyed it very much over the years,” Cannon said. “Every player is proud of their part in that run and in their preparation to play in that game.”Footage of the Halloween night run, which can be found on the Internet, shows Cannon snagging a bouncing punt at the LSU 11, slipping a slew of tacklers… Read full this story
- Legendary Funk Band WAR Celebrates 50 Years With Show In Venice
- Pandas devour ice cake to celebrate 50 years at National Zoo
- Panda-mania: Ice cake to celebrate 50 years of pandas at US National Zoo
- Pandas devour ice cake to celebrate 50 years at US National Zoo
- McLean Symphony Celebrating 50-Year Anniversary With Concert
- National Portrait Gallery exhibition looks at Watergate 50 years later
- Mystery of Bizarre Radar Echoes Solved, 50 Years Later
- Adoring fans celebrate 50 years of pandas at the National Zoo
- Giant pandas celebrate 50-year anniversary of U.S.-China program
- Korean Air Lines celebrates 50 years of flying to the U.S.
Cannon’s run celebrated 50 years later have 298 words, post on www.foxsports.com at October 29, 2009. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.