In 1961 Manchester United’s scout in Northern Ireland, Bob Bishop, telegrammed the clubs’ legendary manager Matt Busby in a state of unusual excitement.”I think I have found you a genius,” he eagerly explained.He had indeed. But neither Bishop, Busby nor anybody else could have imagined the impact his skin and bone, fifteen year old discovery would make on Manchester United, football throughout the world and society as a whole.On the recommendation of Bishop this “genius”, George Best, was packed off to Manchester along with another prospect, Eric McMordie, for a two week trial. Fazed by their journey into the unknown and immediately homesick the youngsters scarpered back to Belfast before the first week was through.Busby had already seen enough to know that one of these youngsters was worth pursuing and the United boss wrote to George Best’s father urging him to send his boy back to Manchester, assuring him that George had what it took to enjoy a bright future in the game.This was a very strong early indication of Best’s outstanding ability. Manchester United Football Club would not usually go running after a fifteen year old kid who bunked out on them. George Best did return and, you could… Read full this story
- Arsenal vs Manchester United player ratings
- Manchester United player ratings: Verdict after PSG are stunned in Champions League
- Alexis Sanchez, Fred: Manchester United players with point to prove to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- Manchester United flop reveals SAVAGE Sir Alex Ferguson put-down after debut
- Manchester United appoint Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as permanent manager
- Manchester United makes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer permanent manager
- Manchester United fan 'stabbed in the chest in Paris after win'
- Liverpool ties Manchester United in Premier League but was it two points dropped?
- Pereira outlines ambition after ‘best day’ as Man United player
- Manchester United and the Siren Song of the Quick Fix
George Best - A Profile of the Manchester United Players Career have 307 words, post on ezinearticles.com at February 13, 2006. This is cached page on Bach Thien. If you want remove this page, please contact us.